Wednesday, August 5, 2009

It's hardly fair...

It has been difficult to get in all of my walks this Summer because my schedule has been so stinkin' crazy. Saturday's are the "big mile" days and not kidding I have been out of town like 9 of the last 11 weekends. It's always a challenge to try to map out routes and find the time when you're away, but it CAN be done. It just so happened that last weekend was our longest walk to date and my sister was in town. We were really glad to be able to spend that 3 hours of walking together! Mom, on the other hand, was on vacation visiting my brother in Oregon. She assured us she would walk too!

So Saturday morning rolled around and Kristen and I woke up and began the madness. Not gonna lie, I haven't had much difficulty with the walking until now. I had done my 6 and 7 miles and while I felt tired I wasn't totally spent. But this weekend....well, we only made it to about the 9 mile mark and we called for backup. My Nana came and picked us up and rescued us into air conditioning. Here were our problems:

1. We didn't take water with us. I'm not going to carry it for 10 miles, but I either need to hide it or maybe even get one of those things that goes around my waist to carry a water bottle. (NO, not a fanny pack....give me a little credit) The fact of the matter is I was very, and I mean very close to passing out and I didn't even realize it until we stopped. I have passed out before and I had ALL the symptoms...it was kind of scary.

2. We hadn't eaten anything. Which is fine until you're gone until 11am and you have burned 800 calories and had no water. We were running on empty.
3. Kristen's hips were hurting. Bad. She was sore for about 3 days. I think she is going to try taking Advil before her walks from now on.

SO, there were a few miscues but that's why we train. So we know the good and the bad and what to do and what not to do for next time. In other news I was completely blister free which is a huge plus. Upgrading to the thicker socks really helped. I have 3 miles to do tonight, 5 tomorrow and then this weekend is 10 on Saturday and 6 on Sunday. My SIL is in town from New York and claims she is going to do the 10 miler with me. I'll see if her tune changes tonight when she steps off that plane into all 105 degrees of her "welcome home."

In other news, mom had a pretty decent walk this weekend in Oregon. It was interesting to see the photos she took along the way versus the landscaping Kristen and I saw along the way....
She said she took a lot of pictures with her real camera too and not just these with her phone. She'll share them when she gets back!

In case you're wondering, we didn't take pictures of the dead grass and the dried up ponds here in Texas. Maybe next weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I am SO PROUD of y'all for working so hard for this! Y'all are amazing!

    PS If you do need pictures of dead grass to post, please feel free to head on over to the Assunto residence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing is for sure, my hips didn't lie...they screamed!

    We will press on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8/07/2009

    Some pointers from a 2-year veteran:

    I prefer walking the Brushy Creek trails. There are water fountains and bathrooms every 3-4 miles. Also, it's closer to home and less crowded than Town Lake. Unfortunately, the scenery is about the same with the dead grass etc. You definitely need to bring water with you and refill it whenever you can.

    Have you tried body glide yet? As soon as we get over 10 miles, I put it on my feet to prevent blisters. It's great under the arms, inner thighs and under the bra too (have you gotten that under the sports bra burn yet?!?)

    As the walks get longer, you need to take a lunch break. Figure out a route where you can come back to your car half way through your walk. In your car, you should have a packed lunch and cold drinks waiting for you. You can even sneak some air conditioning in! Eat lunch, rehydrate, rest, and head out the opposite direction.

    I need to hook up with your mom soon, and hopefully I can join you guys on a walk. Keep up the good work!! It is soooo worth it!

    Debbie

    P.S. Aleve is also good for the soreness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My tune sure did not change! I enjoyed our 10 mile walk... even if we looked a little crazy with the Camelbacks. (Should they accompany our trip to TN too??)

    ReplyDelete