Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Technically...

So technically, training doesn't start until the week of May 25th. We will be doing the 24 week training program that starts with walking about 12 miles a week and works up to walking 44 miles in a week. That is the longest week (mileage wise) before we do the 60 mile event. The 12 miles in a week isn't as much a challenge, but it will be the beginning of my full dedication to this event. It is making the time 5-6 days a week to train that will be difficult. I speak only for myself that that will be my greatest obstacle. The miles I believe I can do. I'm certainly NOT saying 60 miles will be easy, but I do believe that with training, I can achieve that goal. But I do know that carving out the time to diligently train will be vitally important to my success.

I have been walking lately in anticipation of the actual training regiment, and I have been walking about 3-3.5 miles a day. It has been very sporadic. I thoroughly enjoy walking when I come home from work. It relaxes me, and now that the weather has been so fantastic it is really a nice way to spend the evening. The trouble is all of the "other things" that tempt me. Like last night....a fun time with my friends. And tonight....dinner with my family because Kristen moves back to the Lone Star State today!! She has spent almost 2 years in NYC and we are so excited to have her back. So that takes care of this evening's events, and then tomorrow night is another dinner with family friends to celebrate Kristen. Weeknights tend to fill up quickly and I am taking notice of this as I begin to get ready for weeknights filled with walking. I'm committed and I'm ready, and I have thought through some action items to help me achieve my goal:
  1. Instead of dinner with friends, we could walk together. We still get to hang out and chat, but we're getting active.
  2. Our dinner meetings might need to occur later in the evenings to accommodate an after work walking session.
  3. Remember what is important to me and make wise decisions!

Those are all of my action items. Pretty simple really! And, in other exciting news, Coleen has MET HER FUNDRAISING GOAL!!! This is so exciting for our team. Now we have 1 team member complete and 3 team members still fundraising to meet the $2,300 EACH minimum. And, as I briefly mentioned, my sister, my best friend, and fellow team mate will hit Texas soil tonight! We are so proud of her for her time spent in New York. She followed her dreams, had the time of her life, and is now ready to come home to Texas and start something new. We're looking forward to having her back and enjoying this journey together!

1 comment:

  1. You can do it! I know it! I just got the Nike Plus chip that attaches to my iPod to track miles, etc and to COMPETE with my friends on challenges! It is so fun and gets you motivated to log it each day and watch the progress! You ladies should look into that. You do NOT have to get the Nike + shoes...they have a little pouch that you can slip the chip into and attached to your laces! Of course Nike doesn't make it! LOL! Call me if you want or have any questoins about it. It costs about $20 at academy and the pouch is $10 and can be found at Run On. Of course it works for me b/c I am competitive! LOL

    ReplyDelete